Monday, February 15, 2010

Martin Scorsese Presents: The Blues: A Musical Journey Vol 2 Soul of A Man

Director Wim Wenders
Topic: American Music: The Blues

sez says -- First off I'll say I love this series -- and I recommend it to anyone that loves the Blues.  But, if you don't love the Blues it might not be of much interest.  There is a lot of detail, various renditions of the same songs, interviews with sometimes rather unusual people.  But still I could watch any of the volumes in this set multiple times, just like I'd listen to an album multiple times.   That said, I also have to say that Vol #2 is rather bizarre: You've got to ask what "cartoons of outer space" have to do with the subject -- that is the framework around which Wenders sets his telling of this story.  (There is a connection but it is thin and then it is stretched--so it's got holes in it--but that didn't stop Wenders --a mistake I'd say but then maybe others found the connection moving or camp. You'll have to watch it to see what you think.) Titled "The Soul of A Man" the focus is on the contributions, (and lives) of three men: Blind Willie Johnson, J.B. Lenoir and Skip James. The story is well known --amazing musicians made wonderful music --got cheated out of the profits, were rediscovered in the 1960s, etc.  But this one demonstrates how much of the music we know actually came from these men.   It is an awe inspiring and amazing contribution they made--I am sure glad that Scorsese put this together to acknowledge that contribution.  And I hope lots more documentaries are made about this subject so an ever increasing number of people will be exposed to the gift the world received from these men. Hallelujah!

mjc says:  I love the blues so I am always happy to sit and listen and watch the guys who made it.  This movie is a bit over the top, Wenders trying way too hard to be cool and creative!  Grade for this Vol B

No comments:

Post a Comment